Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Whatever Wednesday...


Today I am feeling out of sorts. 

 I have been praying...trying to figure out what to do.  I have been thinking about going back into teaching, but not wanting to go into the schools, thought about virtual teaching...would like that, but the jobs are so far and few between, and then a little voice in the back of my head says homeschooling.  I know hubby is not fond of that and part of me things, can I really?!  I know I started out wanting to do it with Mabel, but she begged to go to school, she craved that social aspect of it.  She's made so many friends, Gretchen loves going and has fun each and every day.  Then, their is Evelyn who hates it.  She struggles and we are struggling to get the services she needs.  

I think, should I homeschool just her, but then that doesn't work for the rest of the girls, plus I can't even do homework with her, without a flood of tears.  I am so torn and making myself crazy with the ideas.  
I am going to give the school a month, TOPS!  Then, I will have to make some changes.  If they can get her the services needed, we'll see.  (don't have a lot of confidence in them though).

Please pray that we find a balance that works for all of us and that a helpful, creative, learning environment is set up for my girls, especially Evelyn.  

2 comments:

Theresa said...

I will pray for you and Evelyn.

I know firsthand how hard that road is. I considered homeschooling when my girls were young, but then I sent them to school for the social aspect. My oldest is a sweet girl and loves to be social, but she just had such a hard time in school. Both with other girls (friend today and not tomorrow, typical girl stuff but it broke her heart) AND more than that, she needed help with reading and math. In second grade she was the only kid taken out of her class for math help and it DEVASTATED her. she kept saying she was dumb and eventually she believed it. It took me TWO more years after that to get up the confidence to homeschool and I am SO glad that I did!!

I am completely serious when I say that if you need to talk, please, please email me: ourlifeinwords@gmail.com I have been there. I know how hard this is. I am praying for you and your family!

Theresa said...

I posted another response to this, so if you get both, I apologize.

I will pray for you and Evelyn.

I have been there and I know firsthand how hard this is. I had strongly considered homeschooling before I sent my oldest, Allie to kindergarten. But I sent her for the social aspect. She is a sweet kid and does great socially...but had those typical heartbreaking issues where girls were her friend one day and not the next. But more than that, she needed help with reading and math. She tried, she just needed longer to do things. In second grade she was the only kid in her class who got extra help in math and she was DEVASTATED. She started to believe she was dumb and her whole demeanor changed. The summer between 2nd and 3rd grade, I worked with her and she improved more that summer than she did in all of 2nd grade...I considered homeschooling. I wanted to homeschool SO BAD! But it took me two more years to make the decision. I can honestly say it was the right decision for us.

I mean this: please email me if you want to talk. ourlifeinwords@gmail.com I have been there and I know how hard this is. I don't have all the answers, but if there is anything I can help with, don't hesitate to ask!

Theresa