Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Foolishness bring me down...



Comparison… is just Foolishness

Let me first by saying I feel that I have a blessed life.  I have a wonderful husband, who I love and respect.  He’s an awesome Daddy for our 4 girls.  I have 4 amazing daughters, each so precious and treasured beyond belief.  (Yes, though I like breaks once in a while)  I have all the things needed to survive, plus more.

Now, maybe I am the only one…but I sometimes I find myself comparing myself to others.  This is not a good thing either.  I feel like if I “just” had that or just had “this”, it would be make my life complete.  I know that’s not the case, but I still compare myself to others.  I know the Bible says that God does not approve of this and he wants our standard of measure to be the Bible, nothing or nobody else.  Yet, I find myself doing it from time to time. 

I know when we compare ourselves to others that it can steal our contentment.  Here are some areas that I compare myself to…

Comparing me to my gal pals
I know its not comparing apples to apples, but I still find myself doing it.  I have friends that are thinner than me and I think if I was just their size, I would be happier. Or friends that have property that I dream of.   If I just had that life would be complete.  I would LOVE to live on 5 acres with a few animals and a smaller home. (Less cleaning)  I would love to be so comfortable with speaking in public, like they are.  You know who those people are in your lives, they appear that they have it all together and everything is perfect…but they have their “quirks” too. 

Do you compare yourself to your Mama?
Well my Mom keeps a perfectly neat and tidy house.  I remember growing up and hating Saturday, cleaning day.  It had to be done perfectly to her standards, that’s what I thought. (I always wanted to be outside)  Did you ever have to clean before guests came, but wondered why b/c it was already clean, I did!  I love my Mom, she’s the best and I wouldn’t have it any other way.  Her cleaning drills, I did not love!  (Sorry Mom) I don’t remember though if it was always perfect when we were little.  If I had to guess I’d say there may have been crumbs on the floor, dishes in the sink, laundry needing to be folded or dusting that needed to be done.  I feel like I have to try and get everything done before she comes, b/c I don’t want her to judge my messy house.  WHY??  I remember when I was older my Mom keeping a tidy home…so maybe when my girls are older and help out a lot more I will have that too!  Wishful thinking…I still want a house cleaner once a month to deep clean!  (A girl can dream right?)

Tit for tat with hubby
 Especially when the girls were younger, I would say things like “I was up all night with her, while you SLEPT!”  These days it doesn’t go that way anymore…they all mostly sleep all night.  I know it’s not a good idea to keep track of who does more…not for anyone.  Who cares who takes out the trash or mows the lawn or cleans the toilets?  We are a team and we work together.  Remember that saying, “there’s no I in team”.  My hubby busts his butt outside the home, so I do as much as I can here to keep a nice home.  It’s really not worth arguing about who does more or comparing the things your hubby may or may not do with girlfriends either.  Remember the vows you took the day you married him and all the love you felt!  Rekindle it if need be! On a side note, my hubby and I are all good!!! (This was a struggle earlier in our marriage though) 

So I need to remind myself before going down the comparison road, I need do I want to choose the road to pride or the road to intimidation.   The Bible says pride comes before destruction. Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.” (Proverbs 16:18) If I refuse to obey him and stay out of pride, then God will no longer be able to honor me, he will allow me to make a public fool out of myself.

If I choose the road of intimidation then I am falling victim to the sin of intimidation, which is rooted in fear.  The spirit of fear is something that comes from Satan.  God equips us with power, love, and Jesus.
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” (2 Timothy1: 7)

By comparing myself to others I am missing out and falling into the traps of Satan.  I am never going to be able to compare myself and say, “Well looky her, we are the same…by golly!” I know that can’t happen.  Comparing only leads to pride or intimidation, which when I do find myself in that, it’s usually intimidation. 
I am going to try very hard to stop doing this, and remind myself that God has forbidden those choice b/c he loves me and doesn’t want me to be crushed by either choice.  God made me for a specific purpose and has a plain all laid out just for me.  WOW!  It gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.  I will have to remind myself daily to have faith and never doubt it. 

I need to focus on the job God has laid out for me to do here and do it with 110% as unto Jesus.  And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father. Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. (Col. 3:17, 23)  I need to be able to be comfortable talking out loud in public and talking about salvation in Christ.  That doesn’t mean being in someone’s face all the time, just ask God to give me those opportunities to speak to them and give me the right words to say without getting nervous and scared about people judging what I say. 

Comparison blocks the spout where God’s help comes out. You simply cannot do what He’s called you to do without His help. So pull the plug on comparison and throw it in the trash where it belongs. That will allow the power of God to begin to flow into your life again. 


How awesome is our God..






1 Corinthians 4:7
For what gives you the right to make such a judgment? What do you have that God hasn’t given you? And if everything you have is from God, why boast as though it were not a gift?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I think if we are honest, this is something we all struggle with to some degree!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I think if we are honest, this is something we all struggle with to some degree!

R McKinney said...

Thank you for this beautiful honesty and great reminder. convicting. I appreciate you writing this.

R McKinney said...

Great blog. Thank you for your honesty. Convicting. I appreciate you writing this.

Tara said...

I'm now following from Welcome Wednesday. Feel free to follow back at www.dandygiveaway.com :)